What kind of error you ask? Well, they left off the tax due for David's Mazda. When we received the bill several months ago, I do what I always do and paid it online THAT DAY. I didn't look closely at the bill because if I had, I would have noticed it just listed the tax due for my Honda. I probably didn't have time to read the bill too closely because I don't know I'd just given birth. "Helloooo?"
Anyhow, it's now time for me to send proof of our paid property tax to the Missouri Dept of Revenue and it's at this time (last night--when I'm paying bills) I realize that we were never billed for David's car.
Crap.
So, I pull out the original incorrect bill and on the back it reads: "All corrections must be made In Person and taxes paid by December 31. PERSONS PAYING LATE RISK BEING INCLUDED ON THE TOP 50 DELINQUENT TAXPAYER LIST PUBLISHED IN THE SPRING."
Crap. Crap.
(People, I'm not making this up).
So, Oscar and I have to schlep all the way over to the Jackson County Courthouse on Monday and plead our case. I've been teaching Oscar some negotiating tactics in the meantime.
Our first approach, intimidation (shown below) is only to be used if the government employee is agitated in any way when we approach the counter. I know from experience you cannot let these people intimidate you. They smell fear. I think Oscar's intimidating face is coming along nicely. Don't you?
Okay, our backup strategy is what I like to call the "Who Me?" approach also known as the "Personal Property What?" tactic. This is only effective if the employee is nice and enjoys being sucked up to. "Oh, thank you kind sir/madam, all of this stuff is just so confusing to me, and I just had a baby and I'm just so overwhelmed..." I'm not proud of it, but I did use this with American Express last month and it worked like a charm. That's a story for another day.
Oscar's "Who Me" face (shown below) is definitely more in his comfort zone, so we might actually lead with that. I'll let you know.
If you don't hear from me on Monday, then you can assume we've been apprehended by the authorities and put on the Top 50 List.
Here's some random Cody Cuteness for you. David was watching the Family Guy last night and Cody was really intrigued by a beeping noise in the cartoon. We kept rewinding it and playing it again and got the same response from Cody again and again. Too cute.

2 comments:
#1 - I love Cody
#2 - I love it that when I read your blog I hear your voice in my head
#3 - I love it that you are teaching Oscar such important skills so early. He is coming along nicely. I need a shot of the intimidation face to keep forever. HILARIOUS.
love that first pic sooooooo much!
Post a Comment