Lilypie 6th Birthday ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, September 05, 2008

Traveling Oscar: From A to Zion

Last week we took our annual labor day weekend trip to Zion National Park in Springdale, Utah. This was our 5th trip to Zion, but our very first official one with Oscar.

Not counting our last trip--where I was about 16 weeks pregnant with Oscar (and still hadn't told my coworkers--or the majority of my family that I was pregnant). This prego pic of me was taken March 2007--we scheduled a spring trip (we normally visit during labor day) to Springdale that year--knowing Oscar would be arriving in September. I was a very tired pregnant lady and slept most of the trip.
PICTURE BELOW IS FROM LAST YEAR-16 WEEKS PREGNANT WITH OSCAR (IN ZION)
Okay, enough about me. Let's start this post with Oscar's airplane flight to Zion. Thankfully, we sat next to the nicest people who didn't mind Oscar the acrobat. He was a total spaz on the flight and refused to sit still for a moment. As a joke, I buckled him into the empty seat between David and me. We didn't buy Oscar a seat ,but the flight wasn't full (yay)--anyway, Oscar only stayed buckled in for a second--but I thought it made for a nice, dignified pic. Do not be deceived by his calm demeanor.



Here we are on one of our many shuttle rides to and within the actual park. To reduce auto traffic, the park and city of Springdale provide free shuttles to take you inside the park and back to your hotels. Such a smart, environmentally-friendly idea. Yay for Springdale and Zion. We can't wait to go back for a 6th trip!




I love this photo below. David took it inside the actual park. We're sitting under a favorite shade tree in front of the Zion Lodge. We didn't lodge at the Zion Lodge, we just like hanging out here.




This video below shows just how tired Oscar was every single night of our vacation. You have to understand that Oscar never lays still and lets us dry him off after a bath. He's so wiggly normally. In this video, he couldn't wait to have his bottle and go to bed.

One major learning for our next trip with Oscar--hotel rooms are so not childproof and we need to bring things (outlet covers, etc) to help childproof the room. Oscar's favorite "toy" in our room was the window handle. When he would wake up in the morning, I would plop him in front of the window while I finished getting ready. Those water bottles are strategically blocking an outlet or something. We really had to creative with the childproofing.


The video below is Oscar chilling out at our favorite Springdale restaurant, Cafe Oscar. No, Oscar was not named after a restaurant. We've just always liked the name. The staff here knows us and remembers us every year. Since I was pregnant last time we visited, they were very excited to meet Oscar.



Here we are hanging in front of the Zion Lodge.


Oscar has recently started reaching for food to let us know he's hungry. He's really into self-feeding and loves his Gerber puffs.
I don't have any pics or video footage from our flight back because Oscar was a handful. I can tell you that I had to carry him on the plane horizontally under my left arm--like a football--because he was so unhappy and squirmy. Turns out his tummy was bothering him and we had to do a pretty poopy diaper change shortfly after takeoff--using our seats as the changing table. It was a lot of work, but we can laugh about it now!
Here are Oscar's teachers notes and I'm off to bed. For those of you don't know, today is Oscar's first birthday. His party is scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14, but they had a party for him at school today. I should be getting the pictures from school soon. I can't believe a year has flown by. It makes me incredibly emotional and proud that we've come so far as parents and as a family. Expect to hear more next week about Oscar's transition to the one-year-old room at school. He spent 1/2 days there all week and seems to be adjusting well. He now naps on a big boy cot at school--as opposed to a crib.
Okay, here are those notes. I've got to get to bed!
Tuesday: Oscar had a good day. He went to visit the ones. He did good. I think he grew while he was gone. Today we read "Animals" and "Words."
Wednesday: Did great visiting. We read "Don't Talk to Strangers" and Elmo. We made spiders with our hands, played with puzzles and tunnel play.
Thursday: Today we made our spiders hairy. We sang ABC's, Bingo, Itsy Bitsy Spider.
Friday: Today we had Group Share Day, Outside Play and a Birthday Party for Oscar. Happy Birthday, Oscar!

No comments: