Oscar is 7 months old today!!! We've been busy enjoying our weekend with Oscar's Aunt Sara and Uncle Tim--(David's sister and brother in law, visiting from North Carolina). I'll be sure to blog about their visit next week.
For now, here are some highlights from this past week. As you can probably tell from the photo above, Oscar does not like green beans. They actually made his gag. Seriously, his gag reflex kicked in full force when I tried to feed him green beans, green peas and oatmeal cereal this week (not all at the same time, of course). =)
We're a little behind on getting Oscar started on solids--mostly becaue of his pooping problems, followed by a cold, an ear infection and the stomach flu. With all of those illnesses behind us (knock on wood), we decided this past week was the ideal week for us to start solids.
I've been reading the books and from what I've gathered, it seems like Oscar is definitely ready for solid foods. Not only is he more than old enough, but just this past week he went from drinking 30 oz of formula a day to 40 oz and still seemed hungry. He'd been pooping pretty well and hadn't had a cold or a temperature for a while. Plus, he'd been doing pretty well with the oatmeal cereal at school. So, I decided (after doing my research), to start with the yucky green vegetables first.
Apparently, experts agree that starting w/veggies (as opposed to sweet, yummy fruit), is the best way to introduce Baby to the world of solid foods. Supposedly, this will prevent Baby from only wanting to eat sweet foods.
Well, as you can see in the videos below. Oscar detests green beans. He's not a big fan of peas either. These videos don't even do the bean-hatred justice. I couldn't film the breakdown Oscar had in his high chair when I tried to feed him greens three days in a row--like the book suggested. (stupid, unrealistic book).
After striking out with the green veggies, I decided to try some oatmeal cereal later on the same day. Oscar's teachers reported he was doing pretty well with oatmeal at school, so I figured I might have some luck w/the oatmeal. I figured wrong.
Great job, Olivia, now Oscar won't eat oatmeal at school either. In fact, he cries when they try to feed it to him. Of course, my overachieving self was starting to panic that Oscar was chugging through Costco-sized cannisters of Similac, but wouldn't eat actual food--until I called the pediatrician's office. The nurse was so nice to me, and suggested I just give up on the greens for now (although she applauded my efforts) and start with the more appealing yellow/orange veggies.
I'm happy to report that we started squash on Friday and Oscar ate it. He didn't love it, but he didn't hate it. His teachers think he actually enjoyed it. I fed him more squash Friday night. Today, we started carrots. Oscar likes carrots even more than squash--yay!!!! My good friend, Carrie, suggested I do a little sneaky switcheroo on Oscar and hide some peas on the spoon (underneath the carrots) and see how it goes. I'm going to eventually try this, but for now, I'm not messing with a good thing. Oscar's eating vegetables and I'm so happy. We'll probably start fruits this week. I might even get a little crazy and see if Oscar will eat oatmeal with fruit mixed into it. I'll let you know...
Oscar had his 6-month shots on Monday. We were supposed to have them earlier in the month, but he was too sickly. I took a half day PTO on Monday and was able to spend some time with Oscar at school, before taking him to the doctor's.
Here are some videos of unsuspecting Oscar at daycare. (That tongue thing in the second video is a new thing for Oscar. It cracks me up).
Oscar fell asleep on the way to the doctor's office and woke up on the exam table with a nurse hovering over him, ready to give him his shots. It was not pretty.
He recovered quickly (although he had a non-contagious vaccine fever for 2.5 days afterwards).
The video below was shot at the doctor's office--as I was checking out--right after Oscar had his vaccines. He's doing that tongue thing again and has clearly forgotten all about the drama that had just taken place in the exam room. He's such a happy baby.
Below are some random videos from this week.
Oscar has been sounding off a lot lately. He's really discovering his voice. I love it!
Here are his teachers' notes from this week:
(no notes from Monday because he only went a half day)
Tuesday: Oscar had a good day He had this fussy times though. Today we read "Puppy & Friends," and "Baby Bop Discovers Shapes." The book he liked best was "Puppy & Friends," because there were textures. His favorite texture was the puppy's nose.
Wednesday: Oscar had a good day. Today we worked on rolling over. He is getting very good at getting to what he wants.
Thursday: Oscar had a good day. Today he read "Touch & Feel, " "Baby Animals," and "Puppy & Friends." He was so cute reading his books today. We worked on sitting up today.
Friday: Oscar had a good day. Today we read "Peter Rattle" and "Little Friends Learning." He did really good today w/his squash. I think he really enjoyed it. We practiced sitting some today. I will have him sitting very soon =)

No comments:
Post a Comment