"home from school"
"learning to sit up"
"playing with the mirror"
Hi everybody, it seems that not even 5 minutes after I finished last week's blog post--where I was reporting that we were all on the mend and feeling better--when Oscar starting throwing up.
At first I thought it was just a lot of spit up, but as last Saturday progressed, it was clear that Oscar had a stomach flu. Before I knew he had a virus, I was in the process of taking him to my friend, Sandi's baby shower--but Oscar threw up in the car on the way. I am so glad I turned around and brought him home, because it turned out that Oscar was super contagious.
We ended up calling ask-a-nurse to get the dosing instructions for Pedialyte--because the label instructs to call a doctor if the baby is younger than 1.
Giving Oscar the Pedialyte was hard, not because he didn't like it, but because he was so hungry, he wanted more, but we had to pace ourselves. In fact, every time Oscar threw up on Saturday, it was right after guzzling down a bottle of formula. We could only give him just 1 teaspoon of pedialyte every 10 minutes for 4 hours, then we were allowed to increase the dosage to 2 teaspoons every 10 minutes for 4 hours-- before returning to formula.
Come bed time, Oscar was so hungry, he couldn't sleep. I read online that some moms prefer breast milk to pedialyte, so I defrosted a bag of breast milk (from January) and Oscar chugged it down (and held it down) and drifted off to sleep. (sigh of relief).
Here's some footage of Oscar aka "little baby bird," taking his pedialyte:
Come Sunday, Oscar was feeling so much better! I ended up giving him more breast milk until about lunch time, then I switched him back to formula. Here are some happy videos of David and Oscar playing together on Sunday. Notice how happy everyone looks and sounds? What David and I didn't know was that within the next 24 hours (for me) and 48 hours (for David) we would be puking and pooping our brains out. Yep, that stomach flu is super catchy!
We're all better now--but it was not easy being so sick and taking care of sweet little Oscar. I was really scared about him catching the stomach bug again, but so far so good with that.
I will close with some random cute videos of Oscar from this week, and of course, his teachers' notes from school. For those of you who are interested in Oscar's poop progress, the Miralax is awesome. He poops every other day now. Some times we have an up-the-back blow-out, but it's better than not pooping! Also, Oscar started oatmeal cereal this week and it's going well. They've been feeding him at school and his teachers assured me that they took photos. Yay!
Teachers' Notes:
Monday:
Oscar had a good day. He had a very big blowout today, which made him feel so much better. He took a full bottle right after that. We read, "Can you Choo Choo?" and "The Very Busy Spider." Oscar really enjoys looking at the pictures in the books.
Tuesday:
Oscar had a good day. He ate much better today. He did awesome w/the cereal. We read, "Humpty Dumpty" and "Time for Bed." He liked the pictures in the Bedtime story the best cause they were magic =) We also practiced sitting up. =)
Wednesday:
Oscar had a good day. We read, "Little Chick" and "Little Pig." Oscar loved "Little Pig" the best because the pig made funny noises.
Thursday:
Oscar had a good day. Today we read, "Garden Colors" and "Good Night, Moon." We practiced sitting up some more today. We played with the noise makers. He liked the Mickey Mouse rattle the best.
Friday:
Oscar had a good day. We read, "Fuzzy Yellow Ducks," he liked all the textures in the book, he felt all of them. We also read, "Counting Book."

1 comment:
Don't you love Ask A Nurse?!
Post a Comment