I cannot believe it's been 5 months since my last blog post and that these pics and videos are from last August (2011), but here goes.
You can see from the pic above that even though the boys are 1.5 year apart, they are almost the same size. Otto is taller than Oscar was at age 2, and Oscar is probably one of the shortest 4-year-olds in his preschool class. So, as of now, they're both wearing the same size in clothing.
Here's a video of Oscar trying to explain something to us. I honestly don't remember
what he was trying to describe to us. We might not have even known back then, but what I do love is how frustrated Oscar gets. I call this video: "It's kind of like a sign."
The boys still love playing outside. Oscar is getting more confident solo bike riding on his little big wheel and on his big-boy bike with training wheels. Otto is content to be pushed along on his radio flyer bike.
As I type this, my mom is visiting us (in April 2012), but this video from August 2011 is Oscar greeting
my mom in the Kansas City airport. He was so excited to see his "Grandma Barbara."
And here's a video of Oscar and Grandma Barbara waiting for her luggage.
Oscar spending some quality story-reading time with his grandma.
And puzzles, they both love puzzles.
Our friends Brandi, Art and their son, Sterling, bought the boys a butterfly garden.
Such a cool gift, you send away for the caterpillars and they arrive via mail. Oscar loved witnessing the
various stages of the caterpillar to butterfly transformation process.
Otto loves to eat.
Here's a rare moment caught on camera of Otto falling asleep mid-play.
One minute, he was playing with all his favorite toys on his trampoline...the next moment he was fast asleep.
Love Oscar's expression in this pic.
Right after Grandma Barbara flew back to Florida, Uncle David (my brother) came out for a visit.
Here's a video of Uncle David going with me to pick up Oscar from school.
And here's a video of Oscar offering Uncle David a popsicle as soon as we get home. In Oscar speak, this is a very high compliment/sign of affection.
Uncle David and Oscar at mommy's favorite burger joint: "Backyard Burger."
Did I mention Otto loves to eat?
Here's an adorable video of Otto enjoying a lollipop.
Spending some quality time with Uncle David
Oscar and friends participated in the annual "Chicken Run" at
Deanna Rose Farmstead. Art (Sterling's Dad) is so sweet to our Oscar.
And they're off...
And here they are finishing the race.
Picture-perfect moment of the happy chicken runners.
Look at that smile!
Oscar and Auggy enjoying a well-earned post-race breakfast.
I know this is a sad-looking photo of Otto, but it's a happy moment for me, as this was the day that Otto received his second set of ear tubes. A happy Otto makes a happy rest of the household, and these tubes do wonders for Otto and his ear infections. Plus, the procedure only takes about 15 minutes.
Oscar asked if we would sign him up for rollerskating. I was hesitant to do so because I thought he was too young. Plus, he'd never skated before. So, when the school had summer sign-ups for the first session, I didn't sign Oscar up. He was so disappointed and kept asking me about it. When I asked his teacher, she assured me that even the kids that don't know to skate have fun riding on the bus to the skating rink and watching the other children skate.
I'm so glad we signed Oscar up for the second summer session, because look how much fun he had!
David went along on parent-watch day to see the progress Oscar had made. He was so proud to have his daddy watch him and has been eagerly anticipating summer and being able to go skating again.
Here's a video of the class doing the limbo.
Here's Oscar boarding the bus to go back to school, while David goes off to work.
When I first saw this photo, I thought Oscar looked sad, but David assured me he was quite happy.
Otto started a new school in August. After being diagnosed with PDD-NOS (atypical autism) in June, we were fortunate enough to enroll him in a half-day (morning only) Autism Center in downtown KC.
Since the autism center is mornings only, we needed to find an afternoon daycare nearby where I could drop Otto off on my lunch breaks every day--after picking him up from his morning therapy at the autism center.
My mom did some googling around and found Willow Woods, a local daycare that has been around for 30 years, and they fortunately, had a spot for Otto.
Within 2 weeks of being at Willow Woods, Otto participated in a back-to-school program with his new class. Well, he sort of participated.
As soon as Otto saw me in the audience, he wanted off that stage. Lesson learned: next time, don't let him see me.
Here's a video showing Otto's quick exit from the back-to-school program. He was supposed to perform a number called "Calypso jump."
Sterling, Auggy, Oscar, Otto and parents decided to take a day trip to Powell Gardens to see dinos and butterflies on display. Oscar and Sterling (below) are small for their age group, but make up for it in boundless energy. They never get tired.
Family photo in front of the fountains.
Otto and daddy. It was hot outside, so Otto went shirtless for a while. Then,
we found a favorite little stream filled with rocks where the boys love to play and splash around.
Otto trying to take a bite of an apple while it's still on the tree.
Auggy and Oscar with their bug antennae headbands
Sterling and Oscar
Auggy and Oscar...future scientists?
This video of Otto cracks me up every time I watch it. We're reading a book called
Yummy, Yucky," which is supposed to teach kids what items are good to eat and what items are not so good. One of the page spreads has "Mommy's cookies are yummy, Mommy's coffee is yucky."
I assure you I really can bake yummy cookies, but Otto thinks coffee is delicious, so this example of coffee being yucky is confusing to him.
Please pardon my singing of "I'm a Little Airplane," the boys love this song. They just love it.
It's a classic Sesame Street song and I love that it's still relevant to today's youth. I think kids in general are universally enthralled with airplanes. And, if these boys are anything like their father, they will be life-long aviation enthusiasts.
Oscar's 4th Birthday Party at Dave's Gymnastics Factory. The host kicked off the event with a giant obstacle course for this kids to complete.
Oscar's buddy (and future wife), Sadie, showing him how it's done.
The video below that is David throwing Otto in the foam pit. I can't express enough how much Otto
loves to be thrown in this pit.
And Oscar in the foam pit...
Upside down Otto! For some reason, I can't type above the photos and videos below.
So, please enjoy the pics and footage of Oscar's friends singing Happy Birthday to him.
Such a beautiful day with beautiful friends. Love this photo of my future daughter-in-law, Sadie, helping Otto eat his cake. She is such a positive presence in our boys' lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment