Lilypie 6th Birthday ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Baby on Board--Oscar's First Trip!



Oscar seems to like flying as much as his daddy does. He only cried a little bit
during takeoff and landing.


We traveled to Florida last weekend for my brother and sister-in-law's baby shower. It was a weekend of many firsts--our first time traveling with Oscar, Oscar's first flight and first hotel stay. Plus, as you'll see in all the videos below (I think this is my longest post ever), Oscar was able to meet the majority of our families. It was a great opportunity for us to celebrate with my brother and sister-in-law--while allowing Oscar to connect with family.

After a long day of flying into Orlando (direct-thankfully), and driving to our hotel in Melbourne, Oscar couldn't wait to strip down and chill on the bed. It was at least 90 degrees outside and very humid, so Oscar was happy to shed some layers.





Here he is sleeping in the hotel crib at the Hampton

We flew in on Friday and the shower was Saturday. I made the uncomfortable decision of flying with a sinus infection. By Saturday morning, I knew I needed to get some antibiotics and QUICKLY. So, before the shower, my father (who lives in Melbourne), came to our hotel to take me to a walk-in clinic. While we waited at the clinic, David went to hang out at Papi's house with my sister, Alicia, and stepmother, Tere--oh, and I can't forget their dog, Daisy! (see below).


Several hours later, Papi and I returned from the clinic--and I brought Oscar's doorway jumper with me. I had just enough time to scarf down a quick breakfast (thanks, Tere), visit for a short while and then it was off to Port St. Lucie to the shower. You can tell by Oscar's flushed cheeks, the humidity is starting to get to him.






When we arrived at the shower, we were about 45 minutes late, so the party was definitely in full swing. As soon as we walked in the doors, Oscar was whisked out of my arms and definitely feelin' the family love. This picture was taken by my aunt Gisela (mom's sister).
It shows my aunt Lucy (father's sister) holding Oscar. She's about to pass him off to my grandmothers. The grandma in the green/blue outfit is my father's mother and the one in the beige outfit is my mother's mother. They are Oscar's great grandmothers! Nobody in this picture has ever met Oscar--that includes my aunt Gisela, who took the picture. She's never met Oscar, but follows him on the blog regularly. Hi, Tia Gise! Thanks for the picture!


The house was full of family and friends--about 70 people I believe. It was also really warm--the air conditioning was having a hard time keeping up with all of us and with all the opening and closing of the sliding glass door to the patio.

We'd only been in the house for 10 minutes, when I turned to my aunt Lucy and said, "WHERE is Oscar?!" (so I'm a little uptight, alright)? She answered, "He's upstairs with his other grandma." (my mother-in-law--so many grandmas to keep track of, I know).

So, here we are upstairs in David (my brother) and Cathy's bedroom--where we hung out most of the day--which is why I have very litte footage of the actual shower. It was so much cooler and Oscar loves rolling around in the buff. I know it sounds like I'm complaining (in this video below) about motherhood, but I'm not. I'm answering someone's question about how I lost my baby weight. My standard answer is easy: no time to sleep, no time to eat, worrying constantly about Oscar, and running up and down the stairs with a 17lb baby! I'm sure when Oscar slows down, I'll pack on some more weight, but for now, there's no time!

My brother, David, was really excited about meeting his nephew for the first time. David was empathizing with Oscar because Oscar was having booger issues and everyone kept trying to pull out his booger with their fingernails. I mean, everybody. Oscar doesn't like his nose being touched. My brother, apparently, has booger issues also and I imagine does not like his nose being touched either.




Here's Uncle David and a beautifully pregnant Aunt Cathy (my sis-in-law), playing with Oscar.
Their baby (my future niece, Angelina Matos), is due to join our family on July 5.
Oscar and his grandmas--this is David's Mom, Kathy. I know, I know--all of these David and Kathy/Cathy-s makes for a very confusing family tree. Just stay with me.


This is my mom, Barbara.


Oscar still loves washing his hands. Here's my dad spending some quality time with his grandson.


Here we've ventured downstairs again. Oscar's a little overwhelmed and a little sleepy, but the sink is always a source of entertainment for him.


He's teething on everything:


Here my Tia Gise is tying a balloon to Oscar's wrist.


Here we are on our way home. My sinus infection is slowly getting worse and my voice is starting to go. As I type this, I'm on much stronger antibiotics and am starting to feel better. For those of you out there who are fellow sinus sufferers--this infection moved into the top row of my teeth and I've got that whole throbbing mouth/throbbing face pain thing going on. Fun times.


Back home we're still working on our buh-buh-buh sounds. Oscar loves to watch me do this.


Oscar's parent educator, Lauren, came out this week.

Our next developmental step with Oscar is to help him work on standing.


Oscar still loves storytime.


He also loves watching Sasha eat. I normally put her
food bowl on the floor, but some times I let her eat on the counter--
right next to Oscar's high chair.



Here we are doing our "standing" homework from Lauren.

He's getting really good at it!

I'll close with his teachers' notes from this week:

Monday: Oscar had a good day. We sang BINGO & played w/pretty much all the toys today. I think he missed them. =)

Tuesday: Oscar had a good day =) Today we read "Baby's Favorite Toys," and "Who are Baby's Friends?"


Wednesday: We went on a walk outisde this morning. He enjoyed the ride in the buggy.


Thursday: Oscar had a good day. He tried to stand. He helped me today with the little babies. He is so good. (Okay, Olivia here, I asked about this. There are some new little babies in Oscar's class and he entertained them by shaking toys in front of them).


Friday: Today we read "Bloodhound Ben"again b/c he loves that book. We also read "One Fish, TwoFish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." He liked all the little fishies!

No comments: